Communications provide the critical path for relief in emergency and disaster situations. Deploying wireless communications is typically among the first priorities in any emergency response, rescue or relief situation.
The set of services provided within ECM-PLUS, will contribute in the effective management of process of direct alleviation of regions that have been affected by davastating natural phenomena, with emphasis in the case of seismic incidents.
Based on the cooperation between satellite communications and wireless technology, the following services are provided within the framework of Aratos ECM-PLUS:
- Development of vigorous wireless network in affected regions.
- Easy to use Hand Held Devices along with the necessary software for immediate reporting from the rescue team members.
- Monitoring and Position Service for immediate reporting from the point of incident(i.e. survivors' detection in debris).
- A Web GIS based interoperable graphical user interface in which are combined all the acquired information from the point of incident.
- Continuous provision of telecommunication services for rescue/reconstruction teams from the point of incident.
- Collection of critical information for the estimation of the outgoing situation.
- Assistance in the direct alleviation of the affected(e.g. Processes of finding survivors in ruins).
- Assistance in the surveillance of development of phenomenon from the experts and in its further analysis.
- Remote control and estimation of current situation.
- Assistance in addresing effectively all current crisis issues.
The integrated system EC╠-PLUS provides:
- Rapid deployment of the system from the point of incident even by non-expert personnel.
- Wireless telecommunication between the rescue teams.
- Continuous communication and exchange of critical data with the operational command centre.
- Display of satellite remote sensed data from the region of incident in almost real time, even in cases of dense cloud via satellites (e.g. RADARSAT, ENVISAT, Terra SAR-X).
- System of geographic depiction for continuous surveillance of personnel and involved technical means.
- Provision of 3D-based maps of the incident area.
3-Level Architecture Description:
- Operational Command Center, OCT
- Incident Site Mobile Terminal, ISMT
- Hand User Terminal, HUT
OCT provides the following facilities:
- Two-way communication with the incident site.
- Internet access.
- Ability of acquisition and projecting satellite imagery of the incident site.
- Ability of viewing images and video taken from the incident site.
- GIS software for viewing maps of the incident area and to monitor the exact position of rescue teams.
- Software for reviewing damage assessment report forms.
ISMT (Mobile Incident Site Terminal), is located at the site of disaster-strike (Incident Site) and provides communication from the incident site to OCT. ISMT has the possibility to communicate with OCT via satellite connection, to receive and transmit data, essential for the services which are provided by ECM-GR. In addition, OCT provides TCP/IP networking with the rescue team leaders via a wireless WiFi network.
HUTs (Hand User Terminals), which are intended to be held by rescue team members at the incident site, are able to communicate with ISMT via WiFi network, and transmit voice data, digital images and video, as well as GPS positioning data and identification data. Within term HUT the following types of devices may be included:
- Digital camera
- Laptop or Tablet PC
- Voice communication terminals (INMARSAT mobile terminals)